5 Things Successful People Do During Lunch
- Posted on November 2, 2013
By Barbara Bartlein
Are you one of those people who just grab a quick sandwich at your desk so you can work through lunch? You are not alone. Just 19% of workers in the U.S. and Canada take lunch breaks away from their desks on a regular basis, dow from 35% in 2011, according to a study last year by Right Management, a human resources consulting firm.
This habit can make us more stressed and decrease productivity. Here are 5 things that super successful people do during lunch:
- They get away from their desks. Even just getting up and stretching or walking to the cafeteria can help you clear your head. Your body was meant to move not just sit all day.
- They get fresh air. A quick walk taking deep breaths will help energize you and get rid of the sluggish feeling. Researchers at the University of Michigan found that subjects with recent exposure to nature performed better on memory and attention tests than those who did not.
- They exercise. Exercise is known to be a keystone habit; ie. it drives a lot of other great habits. It's a great way to solve problems and promote creative thinking. When I get stuck working on a project, I often take a break and exercise. Often the answers come to me while I am working out.
- They eat healthy. According to a new study in Business News Daily, those who stick to healthy diets are 25% more likely to be high performers at work.
- They socialize with friends or colleagues. Lunch is a great time to build relationships and network with others. Don't eat lunch by yourself. Make it a point to connect.